Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mahafinaritra manampoka!!! (Wonderful surprise!!!)

Much to Erin's surprise, she was atop a mountain this afternoon and her cell phone worked. She sounded GREAT! We spoke briefly because her battery was about to quit...for the southerners, the battery was fixing to go dead. (She won't be able to recharge it - no electricity and very little sunshine for the solar charger.) Well, I'm quite thankful for this tremendous treat! Here's what she shared...

Her host family is nice. They are a large family; sixteen family members living in the home. The structure is four rooms. Now for those of y'all with NYC experience, y'all know that four rooms mean just that; not four bedrooms as some may think. The 16 people sleep in the four rooms - there are no bathrooms (no running water/no plumbing), no kitchens, no family rooms for watching TV, movies, etc. together (no electricity). For now, the 16 other people are sharing three rooms for sleeping and Erin sleeps in the fourth room...I guess that's how it works in the Peace Corps. They walk for miles to the rice patties to get the dirty rice water and bring it back to the village.

Erin mentioned that she received four letters that I had written...I began writing about 6-8 weeks ago. Please write to Erin...she was so excited about the letters (and she had been here when I wrote them, so how exciting could the letters be?!?). Simply receiving mail is a thrill.

Please remember to keep Erin in your prayers! Once again, thank you for being supportive to Erin throughout this (select your descriptive word...) - exciting, amazing, challenging, incredible, fantastic, add your own - experience. (Just wanted y'all to be able to interact a little on this blog since I have no "blogging" experience and I'm uncertain of "blog" protocol.

(Erin, when you get to read the blogs I've added for you, I hope you enjoy them. I love and miss you, sweetheart! We're all here for you!!!)

Take care, everyone!