Monday, November 12, 2007

Be Manoratra (Much to Write) Erin - fatatra, fitiavana & mahomby! (Erin - strong, love & to succeed!)

Ah ha! Y’all noticed the language change!?! We’ve switched from Malagasy to Sakalava…less words from which to select; however, I’ll do the best I can. There truly is so much to tell…here goes…

I’d like to think the phone call that awakened me a few nights ago was really just a scary dream…and I’m very thankful that we can laugh about it now… Erin had made her first visit to her site and was returning to Antsiranana (also known as Diego) when the taxi-brusse (a form of transportation that is any motorized vehicle that crams as many people – and more – as humanly possible into it along with chickens, other animals and various cargo) caught on fire leaving the occupants on the side of the road. As Erin was trying to describe her situation, there was constant pecking on the phone and it was not the connection…it was chickens flying onto Erin pecking at the phone. As directed, I called her back in 22 minutes – she had said to wait 30 minutes, but y’all I just couldn’t. She was happily riding again and nearly in Antsiranana. (Whew! We survived that little mishap!) Since then, I have enjoyed several conversations with Erin and even an e-mail that I’d like to share a section of with y’all. (Remember, when I add parentheses, I’m adding an explanation not included in what I’m quoting.)

“I love Jean-Claude (that’s the “nurse” with whom she will be working in her village) and his family and all of their friends in Sadjoavato (that’s her site). Each day of the three days there got better. The kids stopped calling me Vazah (that’s “foreigner” which is somewhat derogatory) and started calling me Gasy because I speak to them in Sakalava. The English teacher in the middle school explained to me that he is not mahay “good” so I told him I would help which made the whole town happy. The Mayor, who at first did not want me, is the only person in town with power – she has a generator – and today told me I can charge me cell phone at her house and told me that she will help me to get girls to use girl condoms since the men will not use them. (Y’all, I’m tempted to make a comment here, but I won’t.) She had the whole town get tested for AIDS and no one has it here but there are a ton of STDs and she wants me to help her talk to all the teenage girls about that. Things are looking way up! They are almost done building my house. It’s made of palm wood, tin and leaves. Kamar (he’s a wonderful man – the Peace Corps driver) came to pick me up today and looked at the house, ladosy and kabone (y’all, I don’t know what ladosy and kabone mean). The kabone and ladosy are nice and private which is great. (HOORAY for the kabone and ladosy!!!) He said he is going to check on my house before I get there to make sure he approves of it. He is making them put some mosquito nets in the cracks to prevent the rats and mosquitoes. There is room for a bed, a chair and a dresser and there is a small room to the side for a small table and stove and there is a place for me to hang a hammock in the shade. They are fixing the fence around the clinic and making a lock so only we can get in it. They promised me and Komar all of these things so it should all be done by the time I get here Dec. 5th – 6th. If not, I will stay at the Meva (the Peace Corps House in Antsiranana) until it’s done, and if it is never safe enough for the PC standards they will not get me. Relax, smile. I am smiling so you should too. I love you and be thrilled that I sort of have cell service and can talk to you more than we thought!”

Here’s some very important information for y’all. Erin will text message you and if you can, please call her back immediately because cell service is sporadic. One cell phone works in one place and the other in another place. The first number I give you is the one I think she will use more often-
011 261 325140123
The other number is – 011 261 330881952
Please do not leave messages for Erin –
Retrieving messages is difficult and very costly.

Please write Erin as often as you can – she is very isolated and hearing from y’all means the world to her. Please make and send CD's
. Her new address is –

Erin Levin, PCV
Peace Corps Regional House
6 Rue Commandant Marchand-Place
Kabary 201
Antsiranana MADAGASCAR


Erin couldn’t get her g-mail to work so she had to make any internet connects through face book. I’m not sure what I’m talking about, I just know that she face-booked a friend so I could receive an e-mail from her. Y’all, please keep Erin in your thoughts and PRAYERS!!! Y’all take care!

Iraka (a messenger),
Brenda