Tuesday, August 14, 2007

the masoandro


Hey yall!

I guess I will start off by explaining what I named this crazy blog thing. It was a running joke in our little yearbook nerd class in 11th grade that when I took over as editor, South was doomed to have a yearbook filled with peace signs, flowers and smiley faces all over it's colorful pages. Well, that didn't happen - but now it's my chance to kind of go fill a little village in rural Madagascar with some smiley faces, flowers, and peace. Pretty corny, eh? Pretty cool, too :)

Now, the name on the actual address is even cornier. masoandro is Malagasy for sun. Since Madagascar is in the Southern hemisphere we won't have all the same stars. Well, Aussies, I will get to share that Southern Cross with yall again! But we will all have the same sun. I know being so far away is going to be a huge challenge for me and for a few of you, so I figure every time we check this thing, we can remember that, right?!

Anyways, enough "creative" emotional stuff. I am starting this blog now so I can figure it out before I get to Madagascar. I have been reading a bunch of other folks blogs that are in training over there now. This is the most descriptive out of the bunch, if you want to get a taste of what I'm in for, check it out. I hope the kid doesn't mind! http://www.adamgascar.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure how often I will get to write from Madagascar, but I think having this is the best way to do it. Yall can each check this whenever you want to procrastinate or have a laugh about me trying to adapt over there. I hear that letters are the best way for you to stay in touch with me and I will put my training address up on here next time.

So, thanks for being excited and sharing this experience with me. It's gunna be an amazing adventure and I'm really glad that you can see parts of it through this. Check in often :)

Hope you are all doing great!

Farewell for now,
Erin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all! Erin has arrived safely in Madagascar. She wants me to share her appreciation of the well wishes, thoughts and prayers from all of you. She and the 18 other PCV's (Peace Corps Volunteers) spent the night in the "transhouse" - the place PCV's spend their arrival night. It's very beautiful and has gardens filled with flowers. It has toilets! It's near the US Embassy. The PCV's are being placed with their "homestay" families and will spend the weekend seeing only their family members - PVC's won't see each again until Monday. This is supposed to help the PVC emerge into the Malagasy language...Erin will point to something and a family member will say the word and Erin will learn it. (Good luck!!!) This is considered the Malagasy crash course according to Erin. Oh, even with the beautiful flowers, it is freezing. (Y'all, please don't worry; she has a warm fleece pullover and leggings and her sunny disposition.) Erin met the doctors and staff with whom she will work during training and they are GREAT! Erin misses everyone! PLEASE, PLEASE WRITE. She probably will not have more contact with us for the next 3 months, so letters are very important. She could not continue her blog today because the computers were all French. She is happy and healthy. On a personal note, I'd greatly appreciate y'all keeping Erin in your prayers...for her to be healthy, happy, well and strong - mentally, physically, psychologically, emotionally and spiritually. Thank you!!!! Please feel free to contact me - (770)403-2141 or (770) 992-5161 or brl259@aol.com. I think I have covered all that Erin said...it was 2:42 A.M. here when she called. (I was supposed to write the blog, but I think I'm supposed to do her password with some upper case and some lower case letters which she did not mention. I'll keep trying.) Thank you for being here for Erin!!!